We have been on a list to get our house painted since February. After a couple of months of waiting, I was convinced the house wouldn’t be painted until August. But then we got the phone call two weeks ago on a Thursday saying they could start the next day. Although it was a quick turnaround, Nate had just finished cleaning up the side of the house so we were basically ready to go.
At first we only wanted the new fascia and soffits painted, but we found that getting the whole house painted wasn’t much more moola. So we decided to for it. Our biggest concern was getting a new coat of paint on the fascia and other new wood from the roof remodel. Most was primed but it was still looking haggard.
It took the crew about a week to prep and paint the house. We had a lot of rough areas that needed to be addressed and trim work.
I am very pleased with our decision to go with white fascia and trim. It brings more contrast to our flat roof line and nicely highlights those expensive new fascia boards. The actual color we picked is actually an off-white called Swiss Mocha. When the painter suggested it, I was a little skeptical. He painted some test spots for me and I soon realized that not only does this color match our windows and doors better, but because it has a little pigment it actually looks better and covers the wood better as well. From a distance, I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference from the bright white we used before.
House Color: Kelly Moore Chopped Celery Satin
Trim: Behr Swiss Coffee Semi Gloss
Flower Boxes: Behr Stone Fence Satin
I was reviewing my early blog entries about painting of the house and realized I never talked about the final colors. In fact, I couldn’t find the name of the grey we used anywhere. This turned into an issue when we were trying to match them for this paint job. Funny how the blog becomes my external memory source for future projects, but it is so true and probably one of my favorite things about documenting our progress.
The painter found a similar grey to go with. It’s not an exact match, but I didn’t have any issue with that since it was only used to cover the flower beds.
The house looks so great. I am really pleased with the final look. Now that the painting is done, I’d like to finally put in a few tomato plants and fix up the front flower beds. It’s going to be a long summer for us with the baby so it will be fun to tinker around. Of course, anything I plant will be drought tolerant given California’s current situation.