Category Archives: Monthly Recap
1) We had our traditional Easter over at my Uncle Terry’s house with egg hunt followed by dinner outside. I love this photo of Teagan high-fiving her Dad at the dinner table.
2) If Easter was not enough excitement for Sunday, Nate and I hurried home to catch the first episode of this season’s Game of Thrones. Since then, we’ve waiting in anticipation for the new episode every week. I have read the George R. R. Martin series, but Nate hasn’t so he keeps asking me questions that I refuse to answer. It’s fun.
3) I finished up our wedding invitations with Nate’s help late one April Saturday night then we sent them off the next morning. Even after working in the invitation industry for years, I never knew how exciting it was to get the responses back in the mail. I’m a little sad the daily task is already over
4) I was lucky to be gifted a Fitbit for each of us. I love the little pedometer and have been wearing it daily to record my steps and calorie burn. I’ve also realized I don’t get nearly as much sleep as I though I did. The pedometer interacts wireless with the Fitbit iPhone app and is so easy to use. I also use My Fitness Pal to record my meals that also integrates with the Fitbit.
5) Daft Punk released their first single and I really got a kick out of this Dutch DJ grooving to it. Needless to say, the single has been on repeat all month long.
6) Dagny and I had a lot of fun running the Electric Run. I loved watching all the kids running with handfuls of glow sticks through the crowd. It’s a very cool run and I’d easily do it again.
5) My Girls Weekend was held in Santa Cruz. I requested a mellow, jean-wearing, beer drinking weekend and my girls delivered. I hope to do a little post comparing it to Nate’s Weekend but I am waiting for some photos to get it done.
6) I always request that Nate wear his East African outfits and he rarely complies. He must have been in a good mood on Tropical Day for his school’s spirit week when he actually dressed the part.
9) Our kumquat harvest was amazing this year. The best part was connecting with co-workers (me) and students (Nate) through the little fruits. Sometimes it’s a real bonding experience to share memories or next experiences with others.
1) Daft Punk sneakily released a 15 second commercial during Saturday Night Live. We got word of it from my East Coast news feed and Nate found it online as soon as we got home from dinner. Yes, this is what we do on a Saturday night…
2) My dear friends planned and executed the most awesome DIY Bridal Shower for me. It made me grin from ear to ear.
4) The second Land Park Gourmet Club dinner happened with lots of good conversation, habanero ketchup and red wine.
5) I decided to try listening to an audiobook while doing my long runs. I wish I had done this sooner! It made the 6+ runs so much more interesting.
6) On St. Patrick’s Day, I ran my first half marathon. I had two goals – to finish and to finish in 2:30. I accomplished both and even came in five minutes faster! Dagny and Alisa were sweethearts and cheered me on at a critical mile nine.
7) The cats got busy terrorizing our local wildlife. The latest victim was an alligator lizard that Nate and I rescued soon after this photo was taken.
8) Nate has started watching Hardcore Pawn. I felt I should document this.
9) I whooped when I finally got my Mailbox account. This little app has already simplified my morning email browsing considerably. If you have an iPhone and use a gmail account sign up now!
1) I celebrated my birthday in early February with a big family party at my sister Ali’s. My mom used painters tape as a bow on my gift.
2) With the weather warming, Nate mowed the lawn for the first time this year. We’re starting to see all the bulbs pop up. Soon we will have flowers.
3) I made a themed Oscars dinner for Nate, Joe, Adie and I that featured a “Life of Pi” inspired Indian shrimp dish and gigantic “Lincoln” apple turnovers.
4) This month the wedding planning got real. Nate and I talked through a lot of looming decisions and started to hatch a plan.
5) At work, Nate and I dealt with our school district closing a bunch of elementary schools. As webmaster, I helped with the board meetings presentations while Nate offered community support.
6) I continued following the Hal Higdon Half Marathon Training program. With the increase in training, I researched ways to help strengthening my hips. I also used the pool as a built-in ice bath after my long runs.
7) My extended family has another selfie text-a-thon.
9) To ease all the stress at home & work, I found Bring on the Cats that makes me giggle each and every time I load it.
I swear 2013 is flying by way too fast. It’s already the third week of February and I still haven’t posted my January summary. I am changing the format of these posts yet again. In my attempt to simplify, I am just calling these recaps instead of favorites so I have free rein on what I include. Watch out!
January 2013 Recap
1) I took the plunge and registered for my first half marathon in March. It’s a big time commitment, but I have been following the Hal Higdon plan so all the workouts are scheduled.
2) Football playoffs kept us interested all month and a good background for the huge amount of grading Nate did at the end of his semester. I loved Ray Lewis’s “Hot in Herre” entrance to his last home game and made Nate play it a couple of times for me (check it out here if you didn’t see it).
3) I began to embrace simple recipes I could prep and serve within an hour. Time management in the kitchen has never been my strong suit, but the less time I spend cooking means more time for running and other projects!
4) My big purchase on the month was two fiddle leaf figs from IKEA. One is in our front room in a pretty purple pot. I am still looking for the perfect white ceramic pot for the second plant that’s going in our bedroom.
5) My neglected office was finally finished with some sweet rearranging and a lot of clutter removing.
6) We took a break from grading went and saw John Oliver perform on a Friday night. Most know him as a correspondent on the Daily Show, he also has a podcast that is a favorite of Nate’s. I surprised him with front row tickets to the show and afterwards we were lucky to get a photo.
7) I started drinking coffee again after a little after holiday detox. Starbucks started selling $1 reusable cups that only strengthen my love affair.
8) In the kitchen, I began a bunch of small projects including a chalkboard wall.
9) My first anniversary with Instagram came and went. I still can’t get enough of the application and now you can even follow along online. My user name is andiezoe if you also use the app. Add me as a friend and I’ll do the same!