Category Archives: Monthly Recap
1. I am in the middle of half marathon training. I’m running 20+ miles a week with three weeks to go. It’s hard, but I’m pushing through it as best I can.
2. My work life is getting a big shift as our superintendent leaves at the end of the 2013. Here’s my view at his resignation press conference.
3. The AeroPress has quickly become my favorite way to make coffee. It’s easier than a french press, but just as yummy. I’m drinking less coffee these days, but when I do this is the way I make it.
4. We had a government shutdown that affected many people across the USA. Even mypubliclands Instagram went down without the funds to support it.
5. Nate and I had a blast bowling and playing a girls vs. boys game of laser tag for Joe’s birthday.
6. Our sweet niece Keira turned one. Ali and Kevin hosted a chili dinner for the birthday girl.
7. I continue to try to stay organized. This month I focused by planning out my week which was semi-successful.
8. High school homecoming happened and Nate as sophomore advisor walked the parade with his crew.
9. Our house got an extra dose of Halloween decor when this giant spider spun a web under our porch light. Nate freaked out a few trick-or-treaters when he pointed out the “real” spider out to them.
1) Nate’s schedule is getting busy with additional commitments through work. To make sure he can get everywhere he needs to be, he’s finally getting his Vespa fixed. Fingers crossed it only needs minor repairs!
2) At the beginning of the month, I cut 10 inches off my hair to donate. This has been something I have wanted to do for sometime and I am really excited with the new cut.
3) Besides lots of football, I’ve been checking out all the new TV pilots. So far I like supernatural leaning drama Sleepy Hollow the best.
4) After our low-key (no project) summer, I am finding motivation to finish my thank you cards. I finally decided on the perfect design and now need to print and get them out!
5) We put off replacing our roof last year when it became obvious that our wedding was going to cost more $$$ than we initially thought. Next spring we must get the roof taken care of. It’s scary to think of how much it’s going to cost us, but we’ve put it off as long as we possibly could.
6) And because of the impending roof project, my focus is going to be small projects around the house until we get that monster project figured out.
7) September has been all about clean food for me. I had my first (and hopefully last pub crawl) without beer due to a self-imposed detox after eating bad Chobani. The experience was very rewarding, but took a lot of will power to get through.
8) Instead of beer or coffee, I’ve been enjoying lots of tea. My favorites have been classic peppermint and chai rooibus.
9) And finally we ended the month with a raging pirate party for my niece Teagan. My sister and brother-in-law put on an impressive party. I did my small part with a “pin the patch on the pirate” board.
School starts tomorrow and it’s raining outside – I figure it’s time to get the last two months of recaps up! (July’s will be dated back to early August.)
1) At the beginning of the summer, Joe and Nate had a bet to see which one could last longer as a vegetarian. Well after a month they decided to call it at tie and break the fast with sushi.
2) I used to write and sketch in a journal in my teens and twenties, but it doesn’t fit well into my schedule these days and I miss it. So I’ve compromised and started doing a 15 minute journal practice in the morning using the daily Simple Abundance prompt and then writing a quick summary of my day in my One Line a Day: Five Year Journal at night. So far I really like having that moment to reflect at the start and end of my day.
3) We went on a double date with Dagny and Dean one Saturday night to mini golf. The evening was full of strategic putting, strange mini houses and castles, excellent people watching and the soothing sounds of the freeway on the other side of the retaining wall.
4) I surprise a lot of my friends and family when I tell them I am taking Nate’s last name. I would be lying if I said I am 100% cool with it (it’s hard to change after 36 years), but it’s something I wanted to do so I am pushing myself out of my comfort zone. So far I have changed the name at the Social Security Office and DMV. Next up is all the financial institutions.
5) I suffered from some knee issues this month so I’ve been icing a lot. I actually got an “ice pack burn” when I accidentally left the pack on longer than 20 minutes. It hurt like a $%^##$**&^#$. I don’t recommend trying it.
6) Homemade pickles and ketchup from garden veggies are delicious.
7) Last weekend we went on our annual family camping trip to the Sierra Buttes. I’ll probably do a full post with a bunch of photos, but it was a great break from the Sacramento heat even with the smokey skies from the wildfires.
8) Our third annual fantasy football draft happened last Monday. As league champion, I reclaimed the trophy for the year. (Look for a DIY trophy post later this week.) Fingers crossed my team has another stellar season, but I regardless I will be holding my breath in anticipation opening weekend.
9) Our Netflix was used to the max this month by Mr. Nate. He blasted through all seasons of Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, BBC’s Sherlock and Orange is the New Black without me. Luckily I have half marathon training starting next week to begin to catch up while I do some of my training on the treadmill.
Well posting this a little late (and back dating it so it falls right on the blog). July was a blur for me. Nate and I spend a lot of time recouping from the wedding and enjoying life as newlyweds. Here’s some of my favorite memories of July in no particular order.
1) We went camping near Big Trees State Park with a couple of our favorite families on earth.
2) This is my favorite photo of the month. My dad demonstrating his admiration a Key Lime Pie from Freeport Bakery.
3) Nate and I participated in our first ever Baggo tournament. We love trying out new things and had a lot of fun except we didn’t prepare for how hot is was. Next year, I will come prepared.
4) Many thought this would never happen, Nate got a cell phone. I documented the whole shopping trip and his learning curve.
5) The State Fair was rather amusing this year with all the head cut-out boards. Adie, Nate and I tried to use them all. Some were more successful than others.
6) I found an amazing talking unicorn birthday card at the craft store. I bought for my amusement and it now hangs on our fridge. Watch and see how happy it makes you.
7) My little sis moved down to LA for her third (and final!) college campus. I miss her, but am also extremely excited for her.
8) Nate and I began to relax a little after all the wedding chaos. Floating in the pool reading was a big highlight for me.
9) Our 3rd annual neighborhood 4th of July block party was a big success. Even Pixel got in on the action a little.
Amazingly, June wasn’t only about the wedding. Here’s our recap of events and other memories from last month.
June 2013 Recap
1) My friends and family threw me two more bridal parties. Each letter of my maiden name represented something that I had to do like a dance move or pose for a photo. I also had a lovely brunch shower hosted at my sister Ali’s house. I am a lucky girl to have so much love showered on me.
2) So much grading happened those first two weeks of June. Nate’s semester ended two days before the big day so he labored over homework, term papers and finals every night. I helped as much as I could, but the most I could do was grade maps and enter grades.
3) And of course the most exciting and beautiful thing that happened this month was getting married. I’ve been posting a lot about the projects leading up to the wedding and as soon as I get our professional photos in I’ll start on the actual event.
4) Another monumental happening in June was Nate’s Samsung Galaxy 4 purchase. After holding out for years, he finally got a cell phone and the world will never be the same.
5) Starbucks came out with their seasonal summer beverages and the Orange Spice Iced Coffee has become a big favorite of mine. It comes sweetened, but I prefer it with just black with orange slices and cinnamon.
6) Nate and I made a point to spend as much time as we could with all those that traveled for the wedding. We were lucky to have a few nice dinners and special moments with our loved ones before they went home. Here’s Nate’s extended family at dinner before his Aunt Debbie travelled back to North Carolina.
7) Especially here in California, the Supreme Court rulings on DOMA and Prop 8 received much jubilation. And of course it happening the same month we got married made it all the sweeter. Yea to more weddings!
8) Josh and Dolly, dear friends of ours, got married in St. Helena two weeks after us. It was a treat to be there to share the moment with them and be able to hang out with a lot of our friends as guests not the center of attention!
9) As I reported in last month’s recap, we’ve been seeing a lot of lizards lately. My mom thought a kit of materials to catch them and other critters would make a great gift for Nate’s birthday. Our first mission was a success at catching this little guy with the net.
Good lord! How is it already June?? It’s officially twelve days until the wedding. My to-do list is long, but manageable if I stay on task. Oh boy, June is going to go by fast. Here are some highlights of May.
1) Nate went on his Boys Weekend to beautiful Reno, Nevada. They took Megabus from Sacramento to Reno on Friday morning. Word on the street is they played Blackjack, Jeff cooked up some good grub and someone tried to steal a pair of sunglasses of their porch but was thwarted by a neighbor.
2) I started working on wedding favors. I won’t go in much detail here because I will have a very long post all about it. I will say I learned a lot of valuable info by experimenting with the materials. So my valuable lesson learned was doing this project early gave me the time to do it right.
3) My fitbit and I have solidified our relationship. I wear it day and night. Combined with the Tone it Up Girls Bikini Series I have really kept my anxiety down with a ton of exercise. Hopefully this becomes habit and I continue after the wedding.
4) We had a couple crazy rain storms in May. Here’s the heavy rain cloud wall on my way to my friends’ Annual Que Bueno Nacho Bar Party. Most of the evening was spent under a tent as a rain bucketed down. Don’t worry, I still ate my fair share of cheese.
5) Our apricot harvest was a total bust this year (tears). I had high hopes but those *&$% squirrels got to them first.
6) My hoover had a slow death this month after I repeatedly trying to clean it out to get any suction. In the end I bought a pet vacuum from Bissell that had good reviews. So-far-so-good, but I am not going to review it until at least 6 months in.
7) Some good friends of mine are getting married two weeks after our wedding. It’s been fun having the spotlight on someone else and getting a chance to celebrate them.
8) A few wedding tasks we’ve been avoiding include purchasing Nate’s wedding ring. Neither one of us were looking forward to shopping for the ring, but in the end we really found the perfect band for him.
9) With the warm weather, the cats have been hunting moths and lizards like crazy. One night Loki, surprised us by bringing a 4″ alligator lizard into the house and then losing it. We hoped he ran up the box springs of this chair so we put it outside overnight. Hopefully he escaped and is living a happy lizard life somewhere safe.
Ok, that’s it for May. Now back to the continuing coverage of Andrea + Nate’s wedding.
1) We had our traditional Easter over at my Uncle Terry’s house with egg hunt followed by dinner outside. I love this photo of Teagan high-fiving her Dad at the dinner table.
2) If Easter was not enough excitement for Sunday, Nate and I hurried home to catch the first episode of this season’s Game of Thrones. Since then, we’ve waiting in anticipation for the new episode every week. I have read the George R. R. Martin series, but Nate hasn’t so he keeps asking me questions that I refuse to answer. It’s fun.
3) I finished up our wedding invitations with Nate’s help late one April Saturday night then we sent them off the next morning. Even after working in the invitation industry for years, I never knew how exciting it was to get the responses back in the mail. I’m a little sad the daily task is already over
4) I was lucky to be gifted a Fitbit for each of us. I love the little pedometer and have been wearing it daily to record my steps and calorie burn. I’ve also realized I don’t get nearly as much sleep as I though I did. The pedometer interacts wireless with the Fitbit iPhone app and is so easy to use. I also use My Fitness Pal to record my meals that also integrates with the Fitbit.
5) Daft Punk released their first single and I really got a kick out of this Dutch DJ grooving to it. Needless to say, the single has been on repeat all month long.
6) Dagny and I had a lot of fun running the Electric Run. I loved watching all the kids running with handfuls of glow sticks through the crowd. It’s a very cool run and I’d easily do it again.
5) My Girls Weekend was held in Santa Cruz. I requested a mellow, jean-wearing, beer drinking weekend and my girls delivered. I hope to do a little post comparing it to Nate’s Weekend but I am waiting for some photos to get it done.
6) I always request that Nate wear his East African outfits and he rarely complies. He must have been in a good mood on Tropical Day for his school’s spirit week when he actually dressed the part.
9) Our kumquat harvest was amazing this year. The best part was connecting with co-workers (me) and students (Nate) through the little fruits. Sometimes it’s a real bonding experience to share memories or next experiences with others.