Project Roof: Week Two

Project Roof: Carport structure goes in

Let’s start with an update on our project’s timeline because our timing has increased slightly.

1) Preparation – two three weeks

  • Remove pergola on back patio
  • Removing the 3′ addition on the front of carport
  • Add additional support in carport
  • Repair porch overhangs
  • Prune bushes and trees away from the roof
  • Remove remaining ceiling in our Great Room
  • Replace all our fascia
  • Fix our skylights
  • Prep plumbing
  • Put up plastic sheeting in the house to prevent debris from filtering down
  • Get the cats anxiety drugs

2) Tear off the existing roof – 1 to 2 days (moved back a week due to scheduling)

3) Interior work – one week

  • Update our electrical lines to code
  • Replace and repair decking & soffits
  • Insulate the rafters
  • Rework our water and gas pipes so they run more efficiently
  • Installing a tank-less water heater
  • Prep the ceiling for our kitchen remodel by installing new range exhaust system

4) Roof install and Finishing – 3 to 4 days

  • Install fireproof base layer
  • Install insulation layer
  • Install thermoplastic polyolefin (TPO) single-ply roofing membrane
  • Install any vents that are needed
  • Install shingled roof on our addition
  • Install drainpipes
  • Finishing the plumbing on top of the roof

Project Roof: Week 1 End

Here is where we left off last week with the carport structure upgraded.

Project Roof: Carport Week 2

This week, Jim added the new 2×10″ fascia to the full parameter. One early decision we made was to upgrade all the fascia from 1×10″ to 2×10″. It’s the one piece of the roof that will be visible so we felt it was an important splurge. And yes before someone asks, we are saving as much wood as we can for other projects.

Project Roof: New fascia

Jim hung the fascia slightly lower than the original which gives it this nice clean line compared to how the fascia and soffit boards used to meet.

Project Roof: Back porch overhang

He also began to work on our back porch issues. Our back overhang has always been an eyesore. It leaks water during the rainy season and sags miserably.

Project Roof: Back porch overhang

We’ve always wondered why it sags so badly and it was great to finally get the answer. This part of the overhang (different from all the rest on the house) was built to collect water and have it drain down one drain pipe. The rafters were an inch shorter (2×6″ instead of 2×7″) than the rest on the house which allowed the water to collect here. I am certainly not an expert on drainage, but what I do know is overtime this section of the roof became a sponge because the concept didn’t work.

Project Roof: Back porch overhang

On top of that, the original beam that ran the length of the overhang, was not secured correctly to our master bedroom wall (see above). Instead of sitting the beam on top of the studs in the wall, it was just secured to the plywood. Overtime, because of both of these decisions, the overhang began to sag even more. When Jim removed it, the middle was 4″ lower than the sides.

Project Roof: Back porch overhang fixed

To fix the overhang, Jim replaced the beam that ran the length of the porch. He sat it (correctly) on the studs in the master bedroom wall and built up the support on the opposite side as well. Next week, he will replace the rafters as well.

Over the weekend, I finally pruned back our lemon and kumquat trees to give the guys a little more room to work as well.

100314_iphone_0017

General Thoughts

It’s been great to see the fascia go up. I am so happy we went with the 2×10″s instead of the 1×10″s that were originally used on the house. These thicker boards give such a nice finished look to our roofline.

And I can’t talk enough about how different the back porch looks. Straightening it out just has changed the feel of the back porch. I know that sounds dramatic, but its like someone with bad posture compared to someone standing straight. It completely changes the porch’s demeanor.

Project Roof: Backyard setup

Next up

Our roof removal has been scheduled for Monday, October 13th which is a week later than we had hoped for. There was a bit of negotiating that had to happen on the price before we could schedule, but we are happy with the final outcome even if it’s a little later than expected.

Next week, the back porch and fascia will be finished up so we are all ready to go with the removal.

Comments

We'd love to hear what you think!