I found the perfect dish to take to a BBQ or summer potluck. It’s delicious, healthy and travels well. You can make it ahead of time and the flavors will only intensify.
I took it to Easter dinner because I thought it was a fun play on the bunny holiday, BUT it is so much more. I plan on making it a lot this summer when I can’t fathom cooking anything difficult. Did I mention it also makes great leftovers? (I’m enjoying the last bit for lunch today).
Shredded Carrot Salad with a kick
- 16-20 carrots
- A bunch of chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 limes
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- Salt and pepper
1. Peel and trim the carrots. I recently learned a great tip on how to correctly use a peeler. Who knew?
2. Shred the carrots. I used my food processor with its shredder disc, but use a hand grater if you don’t have one.
3. Make the dressing. Juice your limes well and mix with the olive oil. Coat the carrots with the dressing and taste. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Prep the jalapeño and cilantro. Slice the pepper in half and run your knife against the inside to remove the core and seeds. (Make sure not to rub your eyes until you wash your hands!!) Chop the jalapeño finely. For the cilantro, I usually chop the leaves and steam together, but you can just use the leaves if you prefer. Add the jalapeño and cilantro to the carrots and mix well.
5. Finish the salad. Mix in the sunflower seeds and taste. Adjust accordingly. Cover the salad and stick it in the fridge until ready to serve.