The last couple days before the wedding were a big blur of activity. I had a bunch of key projects to complete and of course they took a lot longer than I had anticipated to finish. With some help, I pushed through and got them all done the day before the rehearsal. Here’s what I got done.
If you go the seating chart route like we did, I think table numbers are a really fun design element. I knew I wanted our numbers to be flags I stuck into potted herbs that lined our tables (more on that later). I played with a cut-out design inspired by the Mexican Papel Picado banners. With a lot of experimenting, I decided on a simple design so that I could print the sides out on my Silhouette machine.
I designed three two-sided designs – a white chevron, heart and a honeycomb cut-out pattern with a solid color middle plus a special A+N for the head table. The middle piece had two tabs along the spine so that they could be attached to a dowel.
With the design right, I printed each side out on white cardstock with my Silhouette Portrait. A colored piece of cardstock was sandwiched between the two sides. The chevron got turquoise, hearts became hot pink and the honeycomb was lime green. We used a standard glue stick to attach the sides to the middle avoiding any cut out areas. Next came the dowels that we bought at Home Depot. Each dowel was cut down to 18″ long and then the tabs of the flag were glued to the top.
Early on, I had decided to use summer herbs as the table decoration. We arranged three pots (one large and two small) on each table. We used a combination of terracotta and recycled aluminum cans as our pots.
Because we had such an assortment of herbs, we decided to label them (and let guests know they could take them home) with little conversation bubbles. Adie and I brainstormed little phrases for each herb and then I again used the Silhouette to cut them out. Each label was attached to a kitchen skewer with a piece of scotch tape on the back.
My parents neighborhood is easy to get lost in so I made a bunch of directional signs that were attached to street signs around the neighborhood. The morning of the wedding, Alice and Scott put them up at all the popular entrances. Once guests arrived, I also wanted to make it easy for them to find their way around. I made signs to direct people in to the backyard, to the restrooms (porta-potties) and our secret smoking lounge.
“Here Comes the Bride” Banner
My niece Teagan was the self-appointed flower girl. Since we were not doing the traditional flower arrangements, I decide to make her a “here comes the bride” banner to walk down the aisle. I wanted it to be really sturdy so I came up with a pointed swallowtail shape that we made of paper, a foam board and a large dowel.
I printed the lettering and a few heart shapes out on the Silhouette in hot pink card stock. They were glued to a large piece of heavy paper that became the front of the banner. The foam board was then wrapped with patterned paper and attached as the back with the dowel.
Adie hung a bunch of ribbons along the bottom as well to finish it off and the sign was ready for Teagan and her three-year old mischief.
After seeing something similar on a wedding blog, I knew I really wanted to have some branded temporary tattoos. I knew our guests would find these fun, so I designed two – a “for the love” heart and a smaller blue logo from our etched glass design.
I used Silhouette tattoo paper and the cool thing is you don’t have to have a Silhouette to print the tattoos. The process is relatively simple with a little practice. Create your design and print it out on the tattoo paper with a color inkjet printer. Since I had lettering on both my designs, I had to flip the design so once applied to the skin it was right side up so make sure to test out your design a few times before you do the final print. Once the design is printed, you apply a plastic adhesive on top of it and then cut out the design on either the Silhouette or just with scissors/ paper-cutter.
None of these projects on their own took a lot of time but combined it was a couple of days of work. Adie again helped out immensely even taking Teagan’s banner home to finish. I tried so hard not to procrastinate but those last few days before the wedding were a marathon. A few projects were curbed, but really in the end I was very happy with how everything turned out.