My little clock update

My little clock upgrade

Many weeks ago I picked up this dated plastic clock at a thrift shop. It was $0.99 and I thought it had nice lines and the face swiveled so I brought it home.

the-brave-little-toaster
For some reason, this little clock reminded me of the appliances in the The Brave Little Toaster. I was lucky enough to have a little sister who loved watching this movie over and over so I know it quite well. For those not familiar with the animated film, it’s a story about forgotten appliances left in a family’s summer home that take an incredible journey to be reconnected with their young master. Oh, and the appliances sing. The premise is a little bizarre, but somehow the movie works. Trust me kids love it.

To me, the movie had a very strong message about using the things we have (or are used) instead of constantly upgrading to the newest version. And in the case of this thrift store clock, I was reminded how many cool items are out there for the taking. So long-story-short, I was really excited to do a little makeover on this clock and bring him into our concrete family.

Clock Upgrade

For the makeover, I contemplated painting him all white, but in the end I decided to give him a pop of yellow instead. The back of clock was missing so I decided I’d make a back for it. The clock was pretty loud without one. So first, I did my best to tape up both the front and back up to protect the clock.

Clock Upgrade

Then I sprayed about five, thin coats of yellow paint until the whole clock was covered.

Clock Upgrade

I stashed the clock in our unfinished bathroom for about a week to dry completely. Then I removed all the tape to see what I wanted to do next.

Clock Upgrade

Once I saw how bright the yellow was against the black clock face, I decided to soften the look with a thick, white line. I picked up a white chisel paint pen at the craft store and then slowly traced around the clock face with it.

Clock Upgrade

This technique isn’t perfect, but after a couple of applications I got a nice opaque line. There was an inconsistent gap between the plastic clock face and the frame so I used some white puff paint I had to fill it in like caulking. I softly smoothed it over with my finger.

Clock Upgrade

Then, I left all the paint to dry overnight before I did something to screw it up.

Clock Upgrade

Next, I worked on attaching a piece of blue ribbon to the back of the clock. This would become the pull to remove the cork backing once it was installed. I glued the ribbon to the clock back with a little super glue and cut it down to size so only a short tab shows when the back was inserted.

Clock Upgrade

I liked the idea of using cork with the yellow/white/black color scheme for a more modern look. I cut out a piece of cork for the clock to sit on with my trusty X-acto knife.

Clock Upgrade

Then measured and cut a circle of cork to fit in the back of the clock. Cutting cork is a big pain because it crumbles. I found using a sharp knife after lightly steaming the cork worked the best for me.

Clock Upgrade

With all the glue dry, I began putting the clock back together by screwing the clock back into the frame.

Clock Upgrade

Then adding a battery and inserting the cork backing into place.

Clock Upgrade

And there you have it, a simple upgrade to a black alarm clock. The photo shows a summary of what I did on the front of the clock…

Clock Upgrade

and here what I did to the back.

Clock Upgrade

Overall, I am really happy with the makeover. The clock now has a cheery persona. The cork accents make it current and modern while the yellow/white/black color scheme keeps it classic. I’ve put it in my office for the time being. It looks great with all the black and white accents in there.

Clock Upgrade

I should also mention that this project took weeks to complete. A lot of it was drying time, but I also spent a lot of time playing with the white paint to get it right. :)

With this clock finally completed, I am excited to find my next “brave little toaster” project to work on. You never know when inspiration may strike.

Project Materials List & Budget

  • Clock ($0.99)
  • Rust-oleum Ultra Cover Sun Yellow Spray Paint (I had it)
  • White Chisel Tip Paint Pen ($3.82)
  • White Puff Paint (I had it)
  • Cork Tiles ($1.99)
  • X-acto Knife (I had it)
  • Blue 1/2″ Ribbon ($2.00)
  • Super Glue (I had it)

Total Spent- $11.79

Comments

  1. Propagatrix says

    Utterly adorable clock! I, too, am a “Brave Little Toaster” fan (I especially love Blankie’s little sighing noise).

We'd love to hear what you think!