This may be the hardest month to stick to a budget, but I’ve come to the conclusion that my spending has gotten out of control and it’s time to rein it in. I have a lot of big projects and events next year that I need to focus on saving for. So in an effort to focus and spend wisely I am going on a spending freeze for the next 30 days.
Five Rules of No Buy November
- Stick to a household budget – I spend according to my budget and not buy a penny more. That means no incidentals or other splurges just the basics like mortgage, insurance, food, gas and utilities. I am also keeping our current satellite, internet and Netflix plan, but Nate and I plan to look into how to cut and consolidate these bills as well.
- Develop a realistic meal plan -I stick to a flexible meal plan so I maximize my grocery money and shop to sales and coupons where I can. I also plan on taking my lunch with me instead of eating out.
- Conserve energy – Around the house we will try to make smart choices about energy use by turning off lights, keeping the heat off until we need it, etc.
- Use what I have – It’s time to go through my cupboards and closets use the products, clothes and supplies I have on hand.
- Stick to a holiday budget – I plan keep to my holiday gift budget and focus on handmade and thoughtful items over extravagance this season.
I am hoping it will force me to be more creative in all aspects of my daily life. I am already thinking of a lot of great projects to do with materials I have laying around. I think this might actually be fun.
Don’t get me wrong, it will be a challenge. There are going to be a lot of fun things I may have to say no to, but its going to be so worth while in the long term. I will re-access in thirty days to see if and how I want to continue.