Last week I attended my first ever blog conference. I’ve gone to many political and tech conferences over the years, but this was much different. It was smaller (more intimate), hands-on and really enjoyable.
As a self-described introvert, I am still amazed that I made up my mind to attend, but I am so glad I did.
Here was my thought process –
- I’d be around like-minded DIYers.
- It took me (way) out of my comfort zone.
- I could learn more blogging skills.
- Worst case scenario: I could drink myself silly at the opening reception (luckily this was not necessary).
So with my mind made up, I boarded a plane for Atlanta and didn’t look back.
Thoughts on Haven
Many of the Haven Mavens have written amazing recaps about the conference so if you are interested go see the link party on Rhonda’s blog.
My personal experience can really be summed up in four points.
1) Friendly people. As soon as I got to the hotel, I was met with smiling faces. I don’t know why I was worried about attending. I met many amazing people who were engaging, friendly and passionate about blogging. Basically the kind of people I want to be around all the time.
2) An education. The organizers presented a nice combination of DIY and technical workshops. Everything from slip covers to photography was touched upon. I filled my little notepad full of tips. Plus, It was hard not to be inspired around so many creative people. I loved coming home with so much to consider and all the new blogs to add to my Google Reader.
3) A found focus. The last year, I’ve been frustrated with my inconsistency with blogging and I think I lost track of why I started. Hearing others talk, I was reminded what my goals have always been – to record a snapshot of our lives through projects and stories. It’s not about having a perfect blog (something I struggle with a lot), but an entertaining and informative journal of how we did this, funny stories, or how the cats entertained us. I’m glad to re-focus on my goal. It’s gotten the fires burning to take this blog to the next level.
4) Growth. I believe the whole trip will allow my little blog to grow up a little. Expect some housekeeping and tweaks in the next few weeks. I have so many ideas. I know that I want to add a project page and highlight some of my favorites we’ve done. Plus, I realized its time to update our photos for the house tour.
Needless to say I had a great time. None of it wouldn’t be possible thought without the support of the Haven sponsors and the amazing team that dreamed, organized and ran Haven. I have a huge amount of admiration for all the ladies involved. Bravo on an amazing effort!
Now I got to take all I learned and make something out of it. 🙂