I should have known better… titling our last post “three day” jinxed the bathroom makeover from a small update to a very large project. What started as painting weekend quickly deteriorated into major demo.
Here’s the scene Saturday night around 11pm.
Yep, not a stone unturned.
Here’s the rundown of what we did on Saturday.
TSP it then fill the cracks
The walls of the bathroom screamed for a good scrubbing. I mixed a big bucket of TSP and hot water then got to work getting the years of grime off the walls. Next, we filled all the holes, cracks and imperfections.
Sand it down
I noticed a lot of hair and other grime stuck in the paint when I was cleaning it. Besides being super gross, it left me with an uneven surface to paint over. I decided to give the walls a nice light sanding to remove as many of these textures as I could. Of course, I also sanded down all my filled holes too.
Remove the sink and toilet
As I cleaned and sanded, Nate took closer look at our sink and toilet. The sink needed a good cleaning and the faucet was going to be replaced, so we decided to get it out of the bathroom for a deep cleaning.
We knew the toilet was an issue. Decades old, it was a water hog and ran all the time. Not a good thing for our main bathroom.
Plus it was cracked on one side.
We ran over to Home Depot to get a proper sewer stopper before we removed it. (We also got some delicious Korean food at a local Karaoke place called Blue Moon Cafe.)
Removing it was relatively painless, but when we set it down outside it somehow chipped a big piece off and well, that was the end of the toilet.
Now that the sink and toilet were gone, we could finally see how bad the linoleum flooring was. So out it went and we were left with this empty pink room.
Next up, I finally get to paint…