DIY: Refurbishing a cat scratch post

It’s funny the things I get annoyed at purchasing.

Laundry detergent because I only want to buy it on sale.
Cilantro because the last batch went bad before I used it.
Coffee beans because it’s usually when I am all out and cranky.

But more than anything, I hate buying something that should have replaceable parts, but doesn’t.

Cat scratch post

Enter the mighty cat scratching post. It keeps the cats’ claws away from our furniture (most of the time) and is therefore a necessary evil in out house.

Close up of cat scratch post

Regardless of its usefulness, it is perhaps one of the ugliest things in our house. I’ve looked for a better looking post, but it doesn’t seem to exist so we have two inexpensive versions from Target. They work out great for the cats, but when the carpet gets all worn out and grungy, I wanted to replace it. But I can’t. They don’t make replacement parts for the posts. It’s very short-sighted on the manufacturer and it just drives me crazy!

So I got thinking and decided to make my own replacement carpet post out of a utility mat, glue and staples. A fraction of the price of a brand new scratch post. And while I was at it, I gave the post a makeover at the same time with some dark green spray paint.

Dark gray utility mat

I started by buying a dark gray utility mat for $3.00.

082411-141
Then I took apart the old post.

Take apart old post

Using the old carpet as a pattern piece, I measured the width of the carpet tile.

082411-145

Then I cut the mat with a straight edge and a utility knife.

Spray paint old post

Next using dark green spray paint I had on hand, I darkened the current post stand and topper to match the dark gray utility mat.

Assemble parts

Once the paint was dry it was time to assemble the parts.

Staple and glue the carpet

I stapled one end of the carpet piece of the post and then used some tacky glue to keep the carpet in place before stapling down the other end.

Secure with rubberbands

Then, I clamped the carpet post with a bunch of rubber bands until the glue dried.

010912_1913

I let the glue dry overnight before I reassembled the post. Voila! The cat scratch post is ready for action. I spent less than $5.00 on the makeover and I have left over supplies for the next time I need to replace the carpet post. Not a bad deal at all.

Comments

We'd love to hear what you think!